What You Need to Know in Times of Bereavement

If death occurs at home: When death takes place at home there is usually a kind friend, neighbour or relative able to attend to duties in the sick room.

Inform the doctor: As soon as possible inform the doctor that death has occurred. He/she may write out the Medical Certificate of Death when he/she visits the house, or may request you attend the surgery for this purpose.

When death occurs in hospital: When death happens in hospital the procedure is very similar. Apply to the hospital for the Medical Certificate of Death and not your family doctor.

The Coroner: In cases where the death has been reported to the Coroner, the procedure is somewhat different. The Coroner and his officers are working your interest. No doctor will issue a Medical Certificate or Death. This will be sent by the Coroner to the Registrar's Office in the district where the death occurred, after contact has been made with the Coroner's office.